General Questions

How do I pay my bills?

You have several options to pay your bill.  You may pay online or call your insurance company.  The online and phone information is listed on the Partners page. Secure Futures can also assist you in making your payment; please call us at 847-446-2790.

What insurance companies does Secure Futures work with?

As an independent agent, we have relationships with multiple insurance companies.  We use our experience to choose the insurance company and coverage that is best for you.  For a list of the insurance companies we work with most frequently, see our Partners page.

Long Term Care Insurance

What exactly is long term care insurance?

Long term care is the type of assistance people need to perform activities of daily living which includes eating, bathing, continence, dressing, toileting and transferring. Long term care needs typically arise as part of the normal aging process. It can also be due to an injury, or illness, such as Parkinson’s Disease, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, stroke, or a cognitive impairment, such as Alzheimer’s disease.

Who should have long term care insurance?

It has been predicted that at least 70% of people over age 65 years old will require some long-term care services at some point in their lives. Many will need long term care before they are 65 years old. Most families can benefit from the protection that a long term care insurance policy can provide. It is one of the most cost-effective ways to help protect you and your family for the high cost of long term care. The insurance enables you to help secure your saving and your family’s future.

Where is long term care provided?

You can receive long term care in many different settings which include adult day care centers, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, hospice facilities, or your own home.

How will you pay for long term care?

Many people think that they already are covered. However, long-term care assistance is not usually paid for by health or disability insurance. Government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid are not designed to cover long term costs over long periods of time. It is imperative that you consider how you will pay for care if you need it. Your personal income could be impacted if the need arises or family members may have to assume the burden of your care.

When should you buy long term care insurance?

The cost of long term care insurance is based on your age and health when you apply for coverage, therefore, the younger and healthier you are, the more affordable your insurance policy will be. Premiums are directly related to your age and health. The younger and healthier you are when you purchase a policy, the lower your premiums will be. The coverage you buy for your future could protect you if an accident or illness were to occur when you are relatively young as well. Owning a long term care insurance policy would ensure you have coverage to help pay for the cost of care. If you were to wait to buy a policy, a change in your health could leave you ineligible for coverage. By being proactive in your 40s or 50s, you can reduce the uncertainty of what might come to be and allow you to maintain control over important care decisions, your assets, and your family’s future. 

Medical Insurance

I have a pre-existing condition and I am undergoing medical treatment. Can I still apply for individual medical insurance?

In accordance with the Affordable Care Act, pre-existing medical conditions can no longer be exclude or limited from an individual medical contract in 2014. In addition, your monthly premium rates cannot be increased due to the ongoing treatment.

I will be turning 65 in July. What will happen to my individual medical policy?

First, upon becoming Medicare eligible, you will need to enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B. This can be accomplished either through the mail, online at, or by visiting your local Social Security office. As Medicare Part A and Part B do not cover all of your medical costs, and they do not cover outpatient prescription drugs, you will need to enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan, also referred to as a Medi-Gap plan, and a Part D Prescription  Drug Plan. These types of plans are offered by numerous insurance companies, and typically do not require medical underwriting. There are very strict Enrollment time-lines, so it is recommended that you consult an insurance agent for assistance.

I am a small business owner and want to offer medical insurance benefits to my employees. Can you help me with that?

Yes. Offering insurance benefits to your employees is one way to attract new employees and keep those employees happy. Employer benefit packages can include a number of different benefits, such as medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, Flex spending accounts (FSA’s), and Transit/ Parking Reimbursement (TRA’s). We will review your group’s needs and wants and prepare a market analysis of available options. We are a full-service agency and will be there to assist you with the enrollment, installation, and servicing of your account.

I was just let go from my job. What medical insurance options do I have?

Depending on your Employer’s group size and whether or not you were covered under the group medical plan, you may have either State and/or Federal continuation of coverage rights such as COBRA or Illinois Continuation. One option would be to take advantage of your right to a continuation, and continue coverage under your current group medical plan. This is not a permanent solution, as your right to continue coverage will eventually exhaust. Another option is to enroll into an individual medical contract. The involuntary loss of group medical coverage is a qualifying event and will allow you to enroll in an individual medical plan beyond the March 31st open enrollment period.

I just got a divorce.  We have joint custody of our children.  Who insures them?

It depends upon many things.  Who owns the car the children are driving?  Where are they primarily residing?  Please call us to discuss in detail.  Note that if you are divorced the person not living in the insured property has no insurance. 

Life Insurance

Why do I need life insurance?

Life Insurance is one of the most important purchases you will make. If you are not there to provide an income for your family, nothing replaces your income like Life Insurance. You want your family to enjoy a comfortable and stable life should something happen to you. No matter what your goals are, the unique tax benefits and features of life insurance can help you to achieve them.

If I have diverse assets, then do I still need Life Insurance?

If something unexpected were to happen to you – an unforeseen accident, heart attack, life threatening illness or death, then the life insurance is there as a safety net for your family members. The life insurance death benefit, tax free, can replace your income, help pay off a mortgage or other debts, fund your child’s education, and maintain your family’s standard of living. 

Auto Insurance

I just bought a new car, am I insured?

Yes, you are insured with the same coverage as the most fully insured car on your policy.  You must report the new car within several days to maintain the insurance coverage.  If the car (s) insured on your policy are not insured for comprehensive and collision you must call us immediately to get the new car insured for this important coverage.

Homeowners Insurance

The resale value of my house has been decreasing.  Why is the insured amount of my homeowners policy continuing to increase?

Insurance contracts require houses to be insured for 100% of the cost to rebuild.  Rebuilding costs continue to rise even though the market value may not rise or even decrease.

I coach my son’s baseball team.  What if I am sued if one of my players breaks a leg?

Most homeowners policies and umbrella policies will protect you against this type of liability exposure.  However, there will not be coverage if you are being paid.  Most liability policies also exclude intentional acts.

Am I insured if my identity is stolen?

Most homeowners policies include identity fraud expense which provides for reimbursement for legal fees, document duplication, mailing costs and more.   However identity theft coverage varies by insurance company, so we suggest you call us for to review your coverage.

Can someone review my policies? And if so, is there a cost?

Secure Futures will do a complete review of all of your insurance policies at any time, and there is no cost. We are an independent insurance agency that always serves the client first. Our risk management specialists have over 175 years of experience.